Animals can offer amazing emotional support, especially from those suffering from mental illness.  There are a few steps to follow to make sure it is done right, but once you do it, there are so many benefits.  For example, if you rent an apartment or home and the landlord does not allow dogs, they are required to allow your dog to live with you, due to medical reasons.  Registering your pet also allows you to fly with your pet.  You do have to normally buy a separate ticket for your pet so they can sit with you, which does cost some extra money, but it can be so worth it!

Now, when it comes to choosing which pet to register, you do have to use a little common sense.  Typically, a dog or cat is registered, but you can register any animal you own.  But, an airline is not going to let a goat or a cow sit next to you on their plane…so just use a little but of common sense when choosing.

I personally registered my dog, Brindle.

I have not flown with her yet, but she was able to stay with my family and I on vacation in a home we were renting that did not allow pets.

There are no negatives to having an emotional support animal.  They are constantly there for you, love you unconditionally as their owner, and can never say the wrong thing!  I am forever happy that I took the steps to register Brindle and it took little effort!

Here is all you have to do.

  1. Find a reputable site to register your pet with.  Make sure they are legit and do your research.  There are unfortunately a lot of fake companies out there trying to scam you out of money.  I personally used ESA Registration of America to register my dog.  They were very efficient and helpful in making sure I had everything I needed in order to officially call my dog an emotional support animal.  There are also different levels of kits you can purchase, but you will receive a certificate and badge for your dog!
  2. Get a note from your doctor or psychologist.  This is a required part of registering your animal.  If you have a doctor or psychologist who will write the letter for you, that is the easiest way.  If you do not, you can be evaluated online to see if you fit the criteria.  There is a link to do it on the ESA Registration of America site, but it will cost you a little extra money to do so.

And that is it! Simple, right?  I highly suggest doing this, especially if your mental illness affects you traveling or the home you rent will not allow you to have your pet that helps with your mental illness.  I have never regretted registering Brindle, and everything is just a one time fee and your animal is then registered for the duration of their life!

If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to reach out to me! I have been through it and know how it all works!

Never forget, Positive Vibes Only!